What does artificial grass cost? Without a doubt, this is the first thing that comes to mind when considering synthetic turf, and, unfortunately, there is not just one right answer. The national average for a full turn key installation is anywhere between $8 to $14 per square foot. Of course this can be more or less depending on your market and your project. In fact, there are a variety of different factors that can affect the overall price, which is why we encourage you to get a complimentary estimate from an installer.
Typically speaking, artificial grass is priced per square foot. So, the first thing that you are going to need in order to determine the overall price of artificial grass is to determine the square footage of your project. The second thing you need to decide is whether or not you want a full turn key installation or you want to do it yourself. Haven’t yet determined which is right for you? Here are some of the key factors that will make a great DIY project:
- Size – Most installers have a minimum price. If your projects is 400 square feet or less, you will likely be paying an exorbitant amount per square foot, much higher than the national average. It would likely be to your benefit to make this project a DIY.
- Budget – Tackling the artificial turf installation will drastically reduce your overall cost per square foot. You’ll only need to pay for materials and equipment, as well as carve out the time to do it. However, to give you an idea of the savings, about 50% of the price per square foot is labor alone.
If you are pondering installing the turf yourself, please check out some of our resources for a DIY installation. Of course, if you have any questions, we are happy to help walk you through the process.
Do not let the overall cost of the installation overwhelm you. Remember, artificial grass, like any home improvement project, is an investment that will increase your home value and pay for itself over time. Yes, the installation of synthetic turf is significantly higher than natural grass or even sod, but you will not have to continuously reseed to keep your lawn lush. Artificial grass is a one-time investment into your home that pays for itself in only three to five years.
How Much Money Do I Save With Artificial Grass?
Take a look at our financial comparison between artificial turf and natural grass to see just how much you can come out ahead:
Natural grass installation cost:
- Installing 2,500 square feet of natural grass with sprinkler system = $6,100
Annual maintenance Costs:
- Water bill: $125 x 6 months = $750
- Mowing: 23 times per season = $575
- Aeration: once per season = $100
- Fertilizing: four times per season = $200
- Weed kill: four times per season = $200
- Power rake: once per season = $125
- Winterize sprinkler system: $125
- Sprinkler system repairs: $150
Total annual maintenance cost: $2,225
With the initial expenses and the annual maintenance, a 2,500 square foot natural lawn will cost a total of $39,475 after 15 years. Installing 2,500 square feet of synthetic grass has no annual maintenance expenses and will pay for itself in three to five years.
If you still have questions out the cost of artificial grass, please call us for a complimentary estimate.